Your LOUD and PROUD FITNESS ALTERNATIVE.
We’re not a fucking gym. What we are is an inclusive community of women learning to thrive in every way without limitations.
We offer a fitness alternative to a traditional gym in many ways.
- A place where primary focus is on learning a new skill and doing it well.
- A space where nobody is judged for wearing or not wearing particular brands or looking any particular way.
- A venue that is free from gym-bro culture. An empowering venue that is not intimidating to enter.
- An affordable alternative to gym memberships.
- Alternative fitness options from what most gyms tend to offer. You wont find a Les Mills class on this roster. There are boxing classes taught by professional female boxers. You’ll learn technique whilst getting a super workout that isn’t just a boxercise or cardio boxing class for women. You can rock your way into a downward dog or throw your fingers in the sky to some doom as you strike a tree pose.
There are so many unique classes that you won’t find anywhere else. Where having fun is just as important (if not more) as the getting fit bit.
Health and fitness alternatives in diverse venues
We offer fitness classes in a number of diverse venues, from dance studios to pubs and bars and more besides, but our central hub is the CLUBhouse in Thornbury. The CLUBhouse offers multiple class spaces, personal training work-out stations, a shop area for independent female designers, and is decorated in empowering and inspiring female art, feminist quotes and inspiring photography, creating an awesome environment and atmosphere you can feel it the moment you walk in the doors.
As a fitness space we don’t just offer fitness classes, we offer meditation, art therapy, crafts, markets and well-being workshops.
As a venue we don’t just host classes, we host gig nights for female-fronted bands, we host catwalk shows for independent designers, we sell locally made products from female-owned and run businesses.
Helping women thrive isn’t limited to just giving them an avenue to get fit and strong. It’s also about offering them an outlet to express themselves through music, fashion design, art, and creativity.
The Alternative Women’s Fitness CLUBhouse is a space for women to share their skills, discover new hobbies and make new best friends, as an adult. A space to inspire women to connect with other women about what makes them passionate – whether that’s pilates or pattern-making or punk music.
Alternative Women’s Fitness was born of the need for an outlet where women of all types can thrive. Many women just don’t fit into gym culture, so don’t find fitness inspiring. AWF offers a fun and safe space to get fit, healthy and strong, and also to create an alternative culture around fitness – a space where being into music or art doesn’t exclude you from getting into fitness, but instead is celebrated and incorporated into part of learning to live your best life and really thrive.